Here you can download useful articles and find links to the websites of interesting organisations and forums. Should you wish to suggest an article or link for inclusion on the website, please e-mail a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Years Education
The following articles on early years education are reproduced with kind permission of Veronika Robinson, Editor of The Mother Magazine (www.themothermagazine.co.uk), and of the author, Dr Richard House.
The Age of Pervasive Anxiety (2009)
Anxiety isn’t some kind of inconvenient random event of creation, to be eradicated at all costs, but rather, to be welcomed as a developmental and spiritual opportunity for us all.
Trailing Clouds of Glory (2009)
“Let children cast off their clouds of glory at their own pace.” –Libby Purves
For the Love of Learning (2008)
What can parents do to nourish their children’s healthy passion for learning in the face of the deadening embrace of modern schooling?
Human Scale Education (2008)
“Compulsory schooling was introduced in 1876 not primarily for the benefit of young people, but because with the curtailment of juvenile labour too many were making a nuisance of themselves on the streets.” –Professor Alan Smithers
The Activist Parent (2008)
An urgent imperative of our age.
The Matter of Love (2008)
Some cautionary remarks about the neuroscience connection.
Imaginative Education: Nurturing our Social Ecology –Dr David Wright
Here I want to work with imagination as a quality of relationship rather than something that is perceived or asserted or experienced individually.
Social Ecology and Creative Pedagogy –Dr Catherine Camden-Pratt
Using creative arts and critical thinking in co-creating and sustaining ecological learning webs in university pedagogies.
Comparison of ecological understandings & prevailing assumptions & practices in industrialised societies –Dr Stuart Hill
Handy one-page overview.
Ethics, Sustainability and Healing –Dr Stuart Hill
Tips on developing your own unique thoughts and actions related to the concepts of sustainability and sustainable development.
Deep Environmental Leadership –Dr Stuart Hill
Accepting and learning from small failures is the primary path to significant successes.
Trying to avoid this process, paradoxically, results in large failures.
Social Ecology Powerpoint Presentation –Dr Stuart Hill
Too often it is ‘the bits that we don’t see’, and are unaware of, that enable most systems to function. Yet society tends to focus just on the most attractive visible bits, neglects the rest, and is frequently surprised by the increasingly common expressions of system breakdown.
The Shadow Giant –Susan Perrow
This story was written in the wake of the earthquakes in Haiti and New Zealand, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the floods and bushfires in Australia, the tsunami and nuclear disaster in
Japan and the growing concern over chemical pollution and food shortages. It’s aim is to reach primary and high-school children in an imaginative way to encourage discussion and debate.
The Rose and the Thorn –Susan Perrow
A Story for the Children of Norway (2011), written with help from Eldbjorg and Dieter Paulsen, Arendal, Norway.
- Sally Goddard Blythe – consultant in neuro-developmental education
- Raoul Goldberg – Doctor and founder of integrative medical centre for wellness and healing in South Africa
- Patrick Harrison – Forest School trainer and woodsman
- Paul Matthews – poet
- Nancy Mellon – storyteller
- Lucinda Neall – education trainer and writer
- Kim John Payne – internationally renowned counsellor and family consultant
- Susan Perrow – storyteller, teacher trainer and parent educator
- Candy Verney – skilled facilitator aiming to create community through the act of singing
- Margaret Bloom – enter the magical world of peg doll craft
- Lucinda Neall – on communicating with young people
- Zoe Toft’s Playing by the Book blog – reviews of kids’ books and the crazy, fun stuff they inspire us to do
Childhood/education organisations and campaigns
- Alliance for Childhood – working together to improve and protect the experience of childhood
- Early Childhood Action – alliance of individuals and organisations fighting to challenge policy decisions on early years education
- Play England – campaigning for the freedom to play
- Steiner Waldorf Schools Fellowship – serving Steiner education in the UK and Ireland
- Storytelling Schools – “Speaking, listening, confidence, empathy, ideas, facts, sequences, plots … you name it, storytelling can teach it.”
- Upstart Organisation – A campaign to introduce a kindergarten stage for children aged three to seven
Craft shops/independent bookshops
- Mother Goose – independent retailer of craft supplies in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire
- The Green Parent – green parenting magazine
- Juno – magazine promoting a natural approach to family life
- Kindling Journal – The journal for Steiner Waldorf Early Childhood, printed twice yearly
- The Mother Magazine – international natural parenting magazine
- The Springboard Consultancy – award-winning personal development training programme for women