Thank you for considering Hawthorn Press. Although we generally commission the books we publish, from time to time we will consider book proposals from other authors. We encourage you to look carefully at our range of books and send us a well-prepared submission making reference to the points outlined below.
We do not currently accept proposals for poetry books, children’s books or fiction.
- What questions triggered this book idea?
- Has it developed from your own teaching? Is it based on your own course or workshop? Research?
- Why do you think this book is needed? What needs does it address?
- What is the overall purpose of the book? Do you have any specific objectives? Key themes?
- Give a brief overview in no more than 300 words what the book covers and its structure
- How many words do you intend the book to be?
- What illustrations, photos and diagrams will be included?
- How will this book be special, original and marketable? What is its unique selling point?
- List up to six particular features of the book and how these will benefit the reader or user. Please cover topicality if the subject is controversial
- What makes it suitable for Hawthorn?
- Who is this book for? Primary readership? Secondary readership?
- What level of ability will it assume in the reader?
- Is it a general level, professional level (specify which professions), course book or research level?
- If appropriate, is this a main text for a course, a workbook or a book supporting a course or workshop? Please supply details.
- On which taught courses might it be recommended?
- What other similar and competing books are there on the market?
- How do these competing books compare?
- Why should your book be preferred?
- How is it more up to date? Does your book break new ground and if so, how?
- How is your approach better?
- How many people do you meet annually at conferences and workshops you may lecture at? How many copies could you sell directly via such channels? How many potentially interested people are part of your email contact list?
- Which magazines or journals would be interested in this book?
- Who are your media contacts?
- What is a realistic timescale for writing this book?
- Tell us about your other publications or works in progress:
– List any previously published works, sequentially, with title, publisher and year of publication and sales figures
– List any works that are forthcoming, with title, publisher, and anticipated publication year
– List any books you are now working on or planning
Please ensure you include the following in your submission:
- An introduction and full table of contents/book plan
- The first two chapters of your book
- Author questionnaire
- Details of your readership
- Details of the competition
- Your proposed schedule
- Your author biography and CV
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope of the appropriate value for the manuscript’s return
Please allow us at least 2–4 months to respond.
Emails are OK for enquiries, but full submissions should be posted to:
The Publisher, Hawthorn Press, 1 Lansdown Lane, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 1BJ, UK